Monday 16 January 2017

Elaine Wardrop

Elaine Wardrop and Julian Ware-Lane, taken in November 2015


Yesterday I received the very sad news that Elaine Wardrop had passed away. Forty-three year old Elaine had lost a very long battle with ill health.

I only knew Elaine through the Labour Party, where her passion and charm shone through in equal measure.

I have two abiding memories of Elaine. 

I recall sitting beside her at the party meeting when she was selected as our candidate for Eastwood Park (Elaine did not stand in the end as another bout of ill-health took its toll). She stood and gave a short but intelligent speech on why she should be selected. The photo here was taken after that meeting. Elaine was a good speaker, a warm and engaging one.

The other memory was of a canvassing session in Blenheim Park ward; she and I paired up to tackle one particular street. She was a star on the doorstep: engaging, articulate, charming - everything the a good and true activist ought to be.

I contacted her last summer after my health blip and we exchanged a few messages. It was obvious she was engaged in another battle with her health, but she demonstrated, as she always seemed to, a tenacious determination to face the challenge; despite the problems she always had a ready smile, and always displayed positivity.

My thoughts are with her family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

St Luke's Voice Winter 2018/19 edition