Sunday 9 July 2017

Rochford and Southend East Constituency Labour Party AGM



It was an exciting meeting, one that I was very glad that I made the effort to attend. There were 109 voting members in attendance, all having a say in who runs the Rochford and Southend East Constituency Labour Party for the coming year.

We were choosing largely administrative roles, and so one's political leanings ought to be irrelevant. Since most of our politics is shared, and the differences are largely guessed at in the absence of debate, it comes down to just how tribal you are prepared to be.

I tried to avoid tribalism. I am not about to give away who I voted for, but I opted for a mix of persons from the Momentum slate and others.

Quite why Momentum wanted a slate puzzles me. They want to control the local party, but to what end? I want a better run party, and I chose who I voted for based on who I thought would do the best job. I am a Momentum member, and could have gone on their slate - I chose not to because I cannot agree that the best person for a role entirely depends on which fringe group one chooses to subscribe to.

Nonetheless, it was good to see competition, and I hope that all who were successful really are encouraged by yesterday's good turnout to really push our local party forwards. We have local authority elections in ten month's time and I hope that we can make more progress in the Council chamber.

I lost my particular election, and like many others I believe it was a close run thing. I wished my opponent 'good luck' before the contest and I trust that he has a good year in the role.

Here are those charged with running Rochford and Southend East CLP for the coming year.

Chair
Ashley Dalton
Vice chair campaigns
Ian Gilbert
Vice chair membership
Helen McDonald
Secretary
Martin Berry
Treasurer
Des Heemskerk
LGBT
Robert Wallicker
Fundraising
Anna Ingram
TULO
Ian Pope
Political education
Vic Hobson
Essex LCF delegate
Lydia Hyde
Women's officer
Maxine Sadza
Youth and student officer
Henry McCaffrey-Williams
Campaigns coordinator
Jim Riel
BAME
Matthew Barber
Disabilities' officer
Rachel Heemskerk
Press
Mike Smith
European liaison officer
Mike Fieldhouse
IT officer
Tom Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment

St Luke's Voice Winter 2018/19 edition